Last year at around this time I was busy making the cutest shark costume for my little guy. It was a pretty simple concept and I put it together in just a couple of hours so I thought I could try my hand at making another costume this year. I started to plan what to make for my son when he broke the news. He did not want a homemade costume this year, he wants to be some sort of mutant turtle something or another. And it had to be the one he saw at the store, end of story. First of all, OUCH! My feelings took a little bit of a beating there, but I will admit that I understand. He’s growing up and wants to wear something he sees on TV complete with all the trademarked cool stuff. Well, ok then. I know someone that will appreciate my creativity and will never outgrow it…my dog Abby! After all, she is a part of the family. I made my dog a Construction Worker Costume with materials I bought at Michaels.
This costume took all of about an hour to make! Follow along with my super easy instructions and make your puppy a cute costume too!
2 square sheets of orange felt
1 sheet of yellow felt
Metallic silver Duck tape
1 yd. of elastic (I went with metallic silver)
Orange tapestry thread
Yellow foam construction helmet (from the kid’s section at Michaels)
- Sew the 2 orange squares together using the tapestry thread and needle. Since it’s a small piece you can easily do this by hand in a few minutes.
- Cut 2 even strips of the yellow felt. Secure them onto the orange piece with fabric glue.
- Place one long strip of Duck tape along each end of the Construction ‘vest’ about 2″ in from the edges.
- Make simple slits on either side of the ‘vest’ and feed the elastic through, tying each end with a knot. Tip: First place the ‘vest’ on your pooch, and determine how much elastic is needed to wrap under her belly, adding a little more for the knot.
- Do the same thing for the helmet to keep it in place.
My puppy has the cutest little costume, in no time at all ! It is comfortable and safe for her to wear for a few hours and it is very easy to make. This Halloween, it’ll be my husband and I, our ninja turtle, and the cutest Construction Worker mascot you’ve ever seen!
Want more ideas?
Michaels has lots more DIY ideas for this season, head to Michaels.com Halloween project page to check them out.
Take a look at the other 49 DIY costumes from the Michaels Makers, you might just find the perfect one for you, your kiddos or your beloved pet this Halloween!
‘Til next time!
Thank you to my friends at Michaels for sponsoring this post! All opinions are 100% mine.
costume for dogs DIY pet costume