From time to time I come across something I just have to tell you guys about. I love to bake with my kiddos. Just in time for Thanksgiving these Mini Pecan Pies found in Family Fun Magazine are one of those on my ‘must share’ list because, how cute are they?? I especially like these because kids can make them– on their own!
Yes—they can actually help with Thanksgiving. Or they can bake them as neighbor gifts for the holidays, or even just for fun! From scooping and seasoning to spreading and rolling, this recipe is great for kiddos that are starting to explore their culinary side.
If you crafty types have some mason jar lids hanging around, save them! These Mini Pecan Pies are baked in jar lids! If you’re out of jars, no worries, just use muffin tins.
Total time is about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
8 (3.5 in.) wide-mouth Mason jar lids
1 (14.1 oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts (or your own recipe)
½ cup dark corn syrup
¼ cup firmly packed lightbrown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup melted butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped pecans, lightly toasted
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs. maple syrup
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Arrange Mason jar rings on a baking sheet; add metal lid inserts, but flip them over so the shiny metal side faces up.
3. Cut each crust into four 4½-inch rounds, using a small bowl as a guide. Freeze at least 20 minutes.
4. Whisk together corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, and salt until blended. Divide pecans among crusts. Pour syrup mixture over the nuts.
5. Bake on bottom oven rack for 20 minutes or until edges are golden and filling is set. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Beat cream, maple syrup, and cinnamon at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until peaks form. Serve pies with whipped cream. (You can make both a day in advance!)
611 calories; 5g protein; 44g fat (17g sat. fat); 54g carbs; 2g fiber; 27g sugar; 488mg sodium
I can’t wait to have my sons make these for the holidays. They’re sure to impress the neighbors and delight our tastebuds!